|When:||Back to Calendar November 2, 2017 @ 9:00 am – November 5, 2017 @ 5:00 pm||Where:||Poynter Institute for Media Studies
801 3rd St S
St. Petersburg,FL 33701
|✔ Add to Calendar Add to Google Calendar|
Opinion writing plays a vital role in explanatory, features and watchdog journalism, and is important in a thriving democracy. This four-day seminar, funded by the Association of Opinion Journalists, will foster the diversity of voices necessary in the profession and train the next generation of opinion writers from a wide spectrum of backgrounds. The seminar will focus on fact-based opinion writing — and using social media to spark a conversation — across digital and other platforms.
You’ll learn the skills to:
- Develop and hone your arguments, presenting these arguments effectively and persuasively
- Support your arguments using solid research and reporting
- Strengthen your reporting skills with an emphasis on fairness and accuracy
- Maximize your journalistic success on digital and social media platforms — using social media to build your brand, present your ideas and spark a conversation
- Generate strong ideas for your opinion pieces, broadening your access to diverse points of view
- Focus your ideas, developing a compelling pitch to editors
COST: This seminar is being offered at no charge to selected participants. Slots are limited. The program sponsors will cover tuition and hotel costs. A small travel stipend will be available. More details will follow after the selection process.