Ladies of Virtue presents STEMuTifulBy Her Agenda Staff
Jul. 21 2020, Published 8:00 p.m. ET
Ladies of Virtue is excited to present STEMuTiful, a six-week virtual summer experience promoting self-love, confidence, and beauty while increasing exposure to STEM for Chicagoland African American girls in the 6th-8th grade.
Each week will include fun and interactive activities. The activities will include:
- Week 1: Personal Beauty and Orientation - In this session, the girls will learn about color compatibility and how skin tones complement different colors.
- Week 2: Makeup - During this discussion, participants will learn how to make makeup (lipstick, eyeshadow, etc), and will make their own lipstick or lip gloss from natural ingredients.
- Week 3: Hair: During this session, the young ladies will learn about different hair textures and the science behind why our hair looks and responds to different weather situations.
- Week 4: Positive Body Image - During this session, the girls will explore the art of hip-hop dance, maintaining health and wellness, and how to implement a virtual fashion show.
- Week 5: Speaking - In this session, the participants will learn how to develop a podcast.
- Week 6: Confidence - In this final session, the young ladies will take all of the knowledge they learned to develop their personal message about beauty that they can spread to the world!
In addition to the weekly events, the girls will receive mentoring from local high-school and college students, learn from STEM professionals, and have the opportunity to participate in optional outdoor community service events, with their masks of course.
ABOUT LADIES OF VIRTUE
Ladies of Virtue (LOV), launched in October 2011, is a nonprofit organization developed to instill purpose, passion, and perseverance in girls, ages 9 to 18 while preparing them for college, careers and to become change agents in their communities.
LOV matches participants with mentors and prepares them for leadership through culturally relevant character building, career readiness, and a civic engagement curriculum. LOV provides project management, collaboration, and communication training via two to four-month project experiences to empower girls to lead in the modern workforce. After graduating from high school, with successful completion of the LOV leadership program, participants are mentored and supported for six additional years as LOV 4 Life alumni.