4 Practices That Help You Show Up Big EverydayBy Under30CEO
Jan. 11 2016, Published 2:30 a.m. ET
Are you a business owner, freelancer and/or hustler trying to make your own go of it?
Then you have a responsibility to yourself to show up big everyday.
By show up big I mean show up feeling your best and ready to perform at peak levels.
One of the kings of showing up big is Tony Robbins. This man shows up feeling his best and giving a performance of a life time every time he puts on a live event.
One of his secrets to showing up big lies in what he calls priming. He primes himself with incredible nutrition, incantations and specific movements leading up to the event and then right before the event, so by the time he gets on stage he is ready to rock the house.
Just like Tony, we should all pay a little more attention to showing up big every day for our own events no matter how big or small they may seem. Maybe the event is a big meeting or maybe it’s just a list of to-dos that you have laid out in front of you on your computer.
Whatever it is, the secret to crushing it on a macro level in business is consistently showing up big in every moment feeling your best and prepared to perform your best.
So what does it take to show up big everyday?
It takes a commitment to training in four key areas on a daily basis. You can approach these areas in 4 steps laid out below.
Step 1: Train Your Physical Fitness
Under the umbrella of physical fitness let’s include exercise, nutrition and sleep. Here are a few simple actions you can take on a daily basis to help you show up big.
- Exercise or engage in some sort of movement that produces sweat for at least 20 minutes a day.
- Drink half your body weight in ounces of water daily
- Eat a whole food diet rich in vegetables, lean protein, healthy fats and complex carbohydrates
- Sleep enough to where you wake up feeling refreshed daily (Pro tip: there’s no magic number)
Step 2: Train Your Mental Fitness
When discussing mental fitness I think of it as your ability to access flow states. Flow states are those mental states where everything disappears except for the task at hand and you’re able to perform your best. Here are a few tips for getting into flow more consistently.
- Set clear actionable goals for yourself daily
- Schedule activities that are intrinsically rewarding for you to participate in
- Consistently engage in tasks that are challenging and risky
- Take on tasks one at a time and avoid multi-tasking like the plague
Step 3: Train Your Emotional Fitness
As much as we like to treat ourselves like robots at times – humans are emotional creatures. You can capitalize on your emotional states if you are training properly.
- Start your mornings with a consistent routine where you don’t start your day until you are in a positive state of mind (try including things like gratitude, journaling, affirmations)
- Detach your identity from your business. Your identity should be tied to who you truly are, not just your business results. Take a moment every day to remember that you are so much more than your business.
- Schedule time to play on a daily basis. Maybe that’s frisbee in a park, maybe it’s going for a walk, taking a dance class, just remember to take some time to play
Step 4: Train Your Spiritual Fitness
Spirituality is that one thing that many people put off, but it is the gateway to superhuman performance. You can start training it by maintaining a consistent vision and engaging in mindfulness practices like meditation and yoga.
- An old Zen Proverb says that if you don’t have time to meditate for 20 minutes a day, then you should be meditating for an hour a day. I say shoot for at least 10 minutes of meditation a day!
- Engaging in yogic practices could be just going to the gym and lifting weight, just do something physical where you are able to get completely present.
- Maintaining a consistent vision is the key to following through with your goals and making them become a reality. Have a clear written out vision and read it daily to keep yourself in alignment with where you want to go.
There you have it- 4 steps to showing up big everyday. As you read it’s really about the type of training the you engage in on a daily basis. All this may seem a little overwhelming right off the bat, so maybe start off by picking one bullet from each step and executing on that daily to start. Going forward you can refer back to this article and add more practices as you progress. The more you elements you add, the bigger you’ll be able to show up everyday!