2022 is the year that we all expected change. Change within the world, change within our careers, and most importantly, change within ourselves. As we are repeatedly faced with uncertainty and pandemic fatigue, the desire for a fresh direction is craved by many.
As we enter Q3 (starting July 1st) and wave the first half of 2022 goodbye, join us in taking a moment to reflect on what we have learned thus far.
Here are 12 of our favorite pieces of advice from the entrepreneurs, leaders, and changemakers we had the privilege of speaking with this year.
1. Relentlessly reinvent yourself.
- Christine Simmons, COO of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
2. The best thing anybody can learn to do is choose themselves but oftentimes we’re afraid.
- Cari Champion, Journalist
3. Quitting is not a bad thing, especially when you are quitting for something greater.
- Lori Hall, Co-Founder & Head of Creative at Pop'N Creative
4. Being ‘that girl,’ is actually about the rituals and routines that you establish through growth and learning in your own life, that are then reflected through your aesthetic and what you say.
- Darian Symoné Harvin, Beauty Reporter & Editor
5. It’s relatable to have a dream that people think is impossible but you know you can make it if you just leapfrog over these obstacles and push ahead.
- Nkechi Okoro Carroll, Showrunner/Executive Producer of 'All American' and 'All American: Homecoming'
6. If you stay patient, work hard, and have faith, no matter how hard someone tries to dim your light, they can’t because you shine everywhere you go.
- Yazmin Ramos, Supervising Producer at Essence Magazine
7. The best that we can do as people living in this age of acceleration is be active, adapt, and connect.
- Tulaine Montgomery, Co-CEO New Profit
8. The key here is to recognize that once you start becoming interested in your own life, community is everywhere.
- Eve Rodsky, Best-Selling Author of 'Fair Play' and 'Find Your Unicorn Space'
9. Having great people in your corner, who can see those blind spots and how much greatness they see in your idea to take you further, will take you further. You can never do anything alone if you want to go far.
- Germanee Gerald, CEO, Executive Stylist at GG&Co Styling Firm
10. I like to think of the road to success as an airport runway. Just like an airplane needs space to take off, so does a person.
- Nancy Redd, Best-selling author, New York Times Beauty & Health Product Reviewer, On-Air Host
11. Just be your authentic self because that’s going to be your brand forever. Whether it’s with friends or family or in your career.
- Le An Hinh, Global Head of Production Operations, Prime Video Live Sports at Amazon
12. When people think of wellness, they think of the gym and eating healthy but it’s also the people you surround yourself with, the products that you use, and the thoughts you feed yourself.
- Aliah Davis-McHenry, Director of Consumer Engagement at GSK